Thursday, July 26, 2012

I BELIEVE in the Church

I was re-watching the movie "The Dark Knight" in preparation for the new Batman movie to come out. And one line really stuck with me. Bruce Wayne throws a big fundraiser for Harvey Dent. Whenever Bruce arrives, he gives a big speech about Dent, and right when you think Wayne is going to give a fatal blow to the Dent camp, he looks at Harvey and says, "I believe in Harvey Dent."

I didn't notice it as much the first time, but it really stuck with me this time, how sincere that statement seems. There is almost nothing better you can tell a person to make themselves feel good. Telling them that you personally believe that they can do the task set before them, and not only do it, but do it well and the best of all alternative options. Well I would personally like to say that I believe in the Church. I believe in the Church of Jesus Christ. I believe that they can heal the broken, make the blind see, and move mountains with their faith.

Going to a public college, I hear a lot of people say, "Yeah, I'm a christian. But I can't find a church that I fit into." or "I follow Christ, I just don't think that Church is what it's supposed to be".

I think both of these statements are flawed and more of a cowardice statement rather than a statement of fact. A church you fit into? Fair enough. I will give a little wiggle room to that one. But I refuse to believe with 5 or 6 churches available right around campus, and about 30 within a 10 minute drive, that someone can't find a church they "fit into". Well let's reword the original statement to put the focus back on Christ, because, sorry to tell you, the Church doesn't revolve around you. Church isn't always for your benefit. Church is for the benefit of other, to encourage others, to help others, to give back to the world.

The second one I will give no merit. The church isn't what it's supposed to be? Well, the church is not perfect. and you are definitely correct in that statement. But God uses this broken vessel in many ways and for many purposes. Yes, if you look at the book of Acts, you will find that the Church used to be a lot better in ways than it is now. But the only way you can impact the Church in the ways that you think you should, is to show up to Church in the first place.

I've seen the church fix broken hearts. I've seen the church come together when somebody dies, or to help someone out when they have had surgery, or to visit someone when they can't get to a service. You see, the Church is a community, a family, and as a family they do things that seem impossible.

I believe in the Church

So I guess the real question, is not what can church do, but what can you do for the church?

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment